Ladies Through to the next round of the FA Women’s National League Cup

A Hatrick from Klesha Darroux helped the ladies beat QPR in the League Cup and progress to the next round.

Town made 5 changes from their previous defeat at Hashtag United and were quickly on the front foot straight from Kick Off, but were behind after 5 minutes with QPR first attack of the game. A failed clearance allowed the Rangers forward to shoot and score from 10 yards to put the visitors 1-0 up.

Town were getting in some good areas behind the QPR back 3, but despite creating good opportunities to score failed to take advantage, but it was not going to be long before they were back in the game. Klesha Darroux and Che Thomas (making her debut after injury) were dangerous down the channel and their pace were causing problems for the QPR defence. Katie O’Leary was holding the ball up well and linking well with Diana Tobe. Brionne Fowle and Nuala Mckevitt were dominant in midfield and despite being a goal down the ladies looked very comfortable.

The equaliser came in the 33rd minute, and was thoroughly deserved. A great through ball down the channel put Katie O’Leary free, who squared her cross into the path of Klesha Darroux who poked the ball past the QPR Keeper to bring it level 1-1.

More opportunities followed, but it wasn’t until the 43rd minute when Town went ahead. A superb though ball from Brionne Fowle split the QPR defence and Klesha Darroux rounded the keeper and tapped the ball into the empty net. 2-1 up before the break and a good first half performance.

The second half started the same as the first with Town once again very dominant in possession. A few early chances were created but not taken until Che Thomas was played in behind the QPR defence once again on 56 minutes and through on goal she unselfishly squared the ball to Katie O’Leary who slid in at the far post to make it 3-1.

Che Thomas and Brionne Fowle were then immediately brought off and rested and replaced by Rebecca Evans and Carla Perez with the latter making her first appearance of the season. Carla bringing a physical attribute to the Town defence freeing up the midfield to be even more creative. Chance after chance being created but not taken. More substitutes followed, Lisa Fulgence on for her first appearance of the season and Alana Munro coming on to add to the pace up front both had chances to add their names to the scoresheet and the game could easily have been 7 or 8-1 by time the ladies sealed the game in the 89th minute. A solo run by Klesha Darroux cutting into the box and shooting, the GK saved it but the ball rebounding back to Darroux who slid the ball into the net for her Hatrick.

A superb team performance by the Town. They march into the next round of the League Cup.

Coach Jade Dempster Said “Last week we questioned their desire after the hashtag game, and the girls have took that on board and worked hard during the week and today we saw that desire to win the first ball, to win the second ball, play for each other and they got the result they full deserved”

Share This PageFacebooktwitter